Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Kinda Healthier Me

About a month ago, I joined LA Fitness. When i went out to get a massage from Massage Envy & came back & told Rob that I think I am going to join LA Fitness, he gave me this look & said, "then why did we move all of that exercise equipment from PA to here?" Well i was going to start working out at home since I had a dedicated room with a TV, elliptical & treadmill. However, I found it tough to get motivated to go to my basement & workout at 5:00 am even though we got new carpet & freshly painted green walls.

After talking to some people at work (Cross Fit is a big craze at work), I found that many other moms/dads were getting to the gym at 5:00 to work out (so my excuse that I have two kids & work all day was not a valide excuse any more). i was almost convinced but once i saw LA Fitness, I fell back in love. Back in high school & college, I used to work out all of the time. I loved gyms! I liked having a destination & being surrounded by other sweaty people that also dragged their butt out of bed to work out at 5:00 am. LA Fitness also had Kids Klub where they have a big indoor playground, kitchen, tv, etc. I knew eve would fall in love too.

After the tour of the gym, the instructor told me that I could come back the following day for a trial & bring the kids. The next day, I brought both kids. Lila made it 45 minutes then they came to find me to say that she is crying & they think she is hungry. So, i went & fed her then tried to come back to finish my workout but she kept crying. I threw in the towel at that point & figured I would try again with her next weekend. Well, she was even worse the following weekend & I couldn't work out at all. Thus, my more frequent 5:00 am workouts & going to the gym with Eve in tow sans Lila (Eve asked if she could go to the gym with me & leave Lila home since Lila cries too much).

Now, i go about 3x a week at 5:00 am & try to go when possible at night with Eve when Rob is home so he can get Lila ready for bed. Eve gets so excited to go the gym & usually asks me if we are going to go to the gym. She is quite the motivator.

This week I am going to try yoga. It seems like everyone has tried yoga so I guess I am in the minority. I did two sessions of prenatal yoga when I was pregnant with Eve but never really got into it. I figured I would give it a go since it seems relaxing & doesn't require sneakers (they even turn out the lights too--which is good so people don't see that i don't know what i am doing). I invested in a cute pink yoga mat too. I figured I would jump on the bandwagon since yoga has been a staple of most celebrities. Do you think Bret Michaels does it too?

Anywho, what are your tips to stay in shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment